Saturday, October 3, 2009

Need help-fostering mom and baby buns

Went to the shelter to volunteer today and saw a mom and 3 of her babies. Babies are said to be a month old. I asked if they needed a foster home and they said yes. I filled out my paperwork and brought them home (after walking a dog and taking care of the cats). Of course the shelter has them in a cage that is too small.

Here are my questions: 1) My book says they should not be given veggies until 12 weeks. How do I feed mama veggies and not have the babies eat it. 2) We want to put them in something larger, but have no money to buy anything. We can put them in the kitchen/dining area, but need something to contain them. Any ideas. 3) The babies should be fed alfalfa hay, but do they need alfalfa pellets too? Mommy will be eating that too, is that okay? 4) They gave the momma this horrible seed treat that she is eating, I'm sure the babies chew on it too, should I get rid of it? 5) If I give momma apple tree twigs is it okay for babies to chew too?

Oh and the rabbits had no water!

So far they are all doing well, they don't seem to be scared. I gave them a bit of alfalfa and a small towel to sit on. We have to bring them back in a month. Here they are:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cage is important ???

Friend of the Animals said...

Yes Hobo. I believe it's cruel to put animals in cages, especially rabbits. They need exercise, and to be able to play and run. Why live if you are in a small cage to do nothing your whole life?

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Look at those cuties! What about an X-pen? I don't know about younger rabbits I'm afraid, there must be stuff to google......I don' t think the babies will eat unless they are ready, but what do I know? I would think calling House rabbit society could get you some info.

Friend of the Animals said...

D Moll-that is what Bambi and Cinnamon are in. Unfortunately I have no money to buy a new one.

The Bunns said...

Our extra "golden" pen is coming. That will help. My, those are handsome and big healthy looking fellows! We think water and plenty of alfalfa for now is good. We suspect mom can eat greens and if babes get a bit, no prob. But - maybe rummage through the House Rabbit web-site to get some details!

WOOT - more bunns for funns!

(We REALLY need a rabbit rescue set-up here in town.)

Paula said...

You certainly have your paws full! This might be the start of a beautiful friendship...

Anonymous said...

1) Easiest thing to do is to feed mom alone. If mom hasn't had any veggies - start with something simple like parsley. 2) You may want to watch for a baby gate on freecycle or at a garage sale. Does your rescue group have an extra? 3) It should be ok - you can add Timothy in with the other hay. Most important is that they eat hay. 4) get rid of it 5) yes